-----

"If you don't want to be criticized...do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

[This topic was last updated on June 8, 2011, 2:32AM by Dhampir.]

Poe
Starling
average posts: 3.3 per day
Re: Wii U
June 8, 2011, 9:23AM

That's big and it looks uncomfortable to hold......But it is really friggen cool.

-----

Chinese, Japanese, Dirty knees, look at these!

inb4failure
Starling
average posts: 1.1 per day
June 8, 2011, 8:20PM

Size:Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

-----

Shoot him again, His souls still dancing

Dhampir
Section Head
average posts: 2.3 per day
June 16, 2011, 12:28AM

source: ign.com

"Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has confirmed that "Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities."

Speaking at a a E3 Expo Analyst Q&A session on June 8, 2011, Iwata said that the reason for the omission was that "enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."

Wii U will instead use high-density optical discs.

Would you have liked the ability to play DVDs or Blu-rays on Wii U? Or do you agree with Iwata's point?
"

"Speculation has emerged that the Wii U is 50% more powerful than PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Industry Gamers has quoted Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia as saying, "Some of the developers we spoke to indicated to us that the console will have 50 per cent more processing power compared to the PS3 or Xbox 360. This is yet to be confirmed by Nintendo."

But this conflicts with the remarks of John Carmack, id Software's technology chief. Speaking to Gamespot, he said that "the technology level on there brings it up to parity with the other consoles."

At the moment this is all just speculation, of course, but a few weeks ago IGN made its own Wii U - see what we put under the hood and the results we got out of it.
"

-----

Dhampir
Section Head
September 13, 2011, 4:18PM

Wii_teher_0.jpg

"A "reliable source has indicated that the Wii U may be a headache for some developers, as "the final hardware has been 'rushed through the door'". Of all the consequences that one can expect from rushed hardware, the worst is when it won't work as advertised. That is exactly what claims are being brought up in regards to the Wii U.

Worst of which is the wireless functionality, which "simply do not work at all". In fact, even the tethered controller which "still does not work properly". Which begs the question, what is the point of a new controller if it doesn't work? The source of this rumor is 01.net and they conclude that developers are expecting Nintendo to release this hardware in June 2012. As the engineers work feverishly to make everything work.
"

-----

Dhampir
Section Head
April 27, 2012, 2:46AM

"Based on a VG247 Google translation (legit!), Wii U is getting a new Metroid using the Unreal Engine 3. The site claims that the game was shown in cooperation with Retro Studios, developers of the first-person Metroid series on Gamecube and Wii. I really hope this version takes some queues from Chair and Nintendo is making a sidescrolling version with 3D sprites (a la Shadow Complex).

Other rumors hint at the inclusion of some form of video on demand service beyond Netflix. It wouldnâ??t be a stretch considering how media driven the Xbox 360 and PS3 already are. I suspect this rumor will be flushed out when we see the new UI at E3.

Lastly, someone seems to think that Android OS will also be on Wii U. But I bet it wonâ??t be the whole OS (if any at all), otherwise all those emulators for NES & SNES will ruin the console before it has a chance to succeed.
"

-----

Dhampir
Section Head
May 22, 2012, 3:38AM

"It appears as though Nintendo has been doing more than just developing games in the year since Wii U debuted at E3 2011. If a recent leaked photograph posted to Twitter is any indication, the company has been making some small - yet important - alterations to the systemâ??s controller as well.

Some of these changes are obvious, but some are more subtle. All in all, it appears as though Nintendo is contemplating the precise form of its innovative, unconventional controller. What follows is a mix of observation and fact, as we dig through this supposed new design. Weâ??re only two weeks away from E3 2012, where we theoretically will learn the true design of the Wii U controller.
"

5826991451-610x4571.jpg

-----

Dhampir
Section Head
May 24, 2012, 7:31PM

"the price is being finalized between $350 and $450 which is WAY off the predicted price of between $200 and $300. Secondly, the release date is going to be on November 23rd, which is also off the predicted release date of November 11th. Finally, the specs will be running at DirectX 11, and the system will be able to use Unreal Engine 4, despite devs constantly saying it won't.

Additionally, the Wii U will support 2 touch controllers, the console has 2 GBs of RAM, and 560MB for the controller. Also, Assassins Creed 3 will run at 60 fps at 1080p, compared to the 720p on PS3 and Xbox 360. The Wii U will also come with pre-installed software, which was already rumored for months. The Devs currently working to make games for the system are Crytek, EA, and Valve. The Wii U will support achievments, and have a customizable UI, similar to the PS3 and Xbox 360s UI. And Finally, the Wii U will support the vitality sensor, because it still exists.
"

-----

Dhampir
Section Head
June 3, 2012, 9:45PM

-----

Dhampir
Section Head
June 15, 2012, 2:27AM

Iwata has gone on record during a Nintendo Q&A stating that Wii U will be receiving a â??variety of purchase options and additional e-commerce options available at its launch.â? In short, this means that developers will have the option â??to freely take advantage of things like free to play and micro transactions...â? Does this mean Nintendo is going free to play?

Iwata wouldnâ??t really say one way or another; they are just open to exploring ALL types of games. Even those games that are repeatedly misinterpreted as needing to trick you into playing. Honestly this is great for Nintendo. Playstation is already trying to approach the model and PC has seen its share of success stories, especially in the MMO scene. So what is the first Nintendo franchise to go free to play?

-----

Dhampir
Section Head
September 14, 2012, 12:00AM

blog_header_2736861.jpg

With the Nintendo Direct announcement for North America going on, Reggie has revealed the most important information regarding the Wii U, date and price. First off, we will be getting the Wii U in North America on November 18th, a few weeks before Japan. Nintendo will offer two configurations:

The Basic set - containing a white Wii U, with 8 GB of flash memory
The Deluxe set - containing a black Wii U, with 32 GB of flash memory and NintendoLand

All sets will contain a Gamepad, AC adapter for both the console and Gamepad, a sensor bar, and HDMI cable. No Wii peripherals will be included at this time.

"Consumers who purchase the Deluxe Set also will be enrolled in the Deluxe Digital Promotion, which lets Wii U owners receive points for each digital download and redeem those points for future downloadable content from the Nintendo eShop. The promotion is currently planned through 2014."

blog_header_2739031.jpg

Alongside all the obvious game announcements, Nintendo has revealed that the Wii U is going to have a new application coming pre-loaded on every Wii U, Nintendo TVii. It will allow Wii U owners in the US to watch TV and video content in addition to playing games. Something the current generation can already do, but the Wii U aims to improve upon that.

Using the GamePad, TVii will let you explore content in Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, and even your TiVo DVR. All in an easy to navigate interface. The GamePad may also be able to interact with your TV's basic functions. It appears that Nintendo will be including a variation on the Smart Glass technology, providing a level of interactivity most cable providers canâ??t. Whether or not this becomes a key feature has yet to be seen.

Either way the service is cool, but the name is dumb.

As officially unveiled during the Nintendo Direct presser from earlier today, here is a list of every Wii U game scheduled to come out during the launch window. FYI, the launch window is November 18th, 2012 - March of 2013. Please look this list over and be sure to let us know if there is anything weâ??re missing or anything you wish was on the list.

007 Legends
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Assassinâ??s Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Ben 10: Omniverse
Cabelaâ??s Dangerous Hunts 2013
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
Funky Barn
Game & Wario
Game Party Champions
JEOPARDY!
Jett Tailfin
Just Dance 4
LEGO City: Undercover
Madden NFL 13
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
Mass Effect 3
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Nano Assault Neo
NBA 2K13
New Super Mario Bros. U
NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razorâ??s Edge
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3
Rabbids Land
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing
Rayman Legends
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Scribblenauts Unlimited
SiNG PARTY
Skylanders Giants
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sports Connection
TANK! TANK! TANK!
TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 Wii U Edition
The Wonderful 101
Toki Tori 2
TRANSFORMERS PRIME
Trine 2: Directorâ??s Cut
WARRIORS OROCHI 3 Hyper
Wheel of Fortune
Wii Fit U
Wipeout 3
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU
Zumba Fitness Core

-----

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall me free."

Dhampir
Section Head
September 21, 2012, 3:19AM

These days a substantial portion of indie games and mobile games are being developed in the Unity Engine. In an attempt to attract more developers to the Wii U as a viable platform for digital content, Unity and Nintendo have agreed to build an add-on to support the Wii U. This will make the process of porting games developed for other platforms to the Wii U much easier, as Unity CEO David Helgason explains.
"[We're] not sort of just sharing technology, but also engaging both ecosystems and making sure we're getting the efficiencies of Unity and the efficiencies of cooperation with Nintendo and the Wii Uâ?¦ We should allow the developers to focus on the stuff that's interesting, which is the controls, the gameplay, the graphics, and how it all looks and feels."

Doing this will make the Nintendo Wii U a much more viable platform for indie devs. At least more so than the Wiiâ??s current WiiWare service. Unity and Nintendo will disclose more details in the future about how devs can bring their Unity games to Wii U. Also, Nintendo still needs to explain what digital store front these games will be sold through, among other Nintendo Network related information. Still, exciting news for Wii U owners and developers alike, right?

-----

Dhampir
Section Head
October 19, 2012, 7:59PM

In a conversation with Kotaku, Nintendo has revealed that the Wii U might not have evolved quite as much as gamers would have hoped. Not only does it appear that the games to support voice chat will be limited (no party chat), but you wonâ??t be able to voice chat with a Pro Controller directly. You will have to use the GamePadâ??s headphone jack for voice chat and play using the Pro Controller. Right now the only games supported in the source are Assassin's Creed III, Call of Duty Black Ops II, and Mass Effect 3. I would suspect that anything with a strong multiplayer component will have some sort of support.

The strange thing is Nintendo will not be creating a first party headset at launch. They recommend users turn to Turtle Beach or Mad Catz for your hardware. Also, the microphone built into the GamePad will not work for voice chat (DUMB), but that could change one day. Also, there are no wireless headsets on the horizon. So letâ??s recap:

No universal support for in-game voice chat
The GamePad mic wonâ??t handle voice chat either
And you can only use voice chat by purchasing a third-party headset

-----

Dhampir
Section Head
November 9, 2012, 12:17AM

In a Japanese Nintendo Direct conference, Iwata-san sat down to talk at length about the online functionality for Wii U. Details of note include the fact that the Wii U will allow up to 12 unique profiles per console. Each profile will be able to access any downloaded eShop content on the console (similar to PS3). The Nintendo Network profile will be associated to an ID number and users can interact through the Miiverse so long as you have either the number or profile name.

Now when you boot up a Wii U, youâ??re immediately in the Miiverse. Profiles help manage game saves, settings, bookmarks from the Internet browser, and your gameplay history. It resembles the current 3DS setup, but there is no word if the 3DS will actually use the profile model. You may also be able access the Nintendo Network via PC or smartphone using your profile. Expect more details to continue to emerge as we are 11 days out from the launch of Nintendoâ??s next console.

-----

Subject:
Reply:

Add Signature?

Last 10 Members to View This Thread
NameTime