[more]

Go to page: < 1 [2] 3 >
Author
eon
Site Founder
average posts: 1.5 per day
Re: INFINITE ANDROMEDA?!
March 7, 2011, 11:58AM

That might be worth looking into. Of course, it's all about targeting the right demographic.

What would we look for in Facebook users to determine whether or not they should see our ads?

Age range? Music/movie preferences?

-----

DS Bureaucracyâ?¢: Every now and then, your opinion matters to us. Fill out the proper forms today!

Charlet
Starling
average posts: 0.3 per day
March 7, 2011, 12:12PM

Im not sure if it really needs certain music/videos to advertise too ( I have none listed). More on interests, maybe what apps they've loaded, what groups they're in, their causes etc. etc.

[This post was last updated on March 7, 2011, 1:13PM by Charlet.]

Charlet
Starling
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: INFINITE ANDROMEDA?!
March 7, 2011, 12:13PM

On March 7, 2011, 1:01PM, Code said:

On March 7, 2011, 5:53PM, Charlet said:

It's morning on a monday, it's not our fauflt you live in a shitty time zone compared to the majority of people.

Every night I've been there there have been 10+.

You leave my timezone out of this, you whore. >:/

Lol, Its true!.

eon
Site Founder
March 7, 2011, 12:15PM

On March 6, 2011, 4:22PM, Goffy_lucc said:

Why change it when it works already?
I save my money for a month the month before I have to purchase again.

I purchase andro to help support the site, cus I love it tbph

People have donated to me and I have donated to others.

...she's talking about Andro.

-----

DS Bureaucracyâ?¢: This ain't no fuckin' democracy!

eon
Site Founder
March 7, 2011, 12:16PM

On March 7, 2011, 11:01AM, Code said:

Also, as a side idea, ever thought of a proper wiki page?
Toss enough links on there and you should pick a few people up here and there.

Yeah, we keep getting rejected from Wiki.

-----

DS Bureaucracyâ?¢: Sometimes there when you need us.

eon
Site Founder
March 7, 2011, 1:30PM

I believe it's because we're not "noteworthy" by their standards.

-----

DS Bureaucracyâ?¢: Now providing organic, eco-friendly and sustainably produced Andromeda Timeâ?¢. Do the right thing for yourself and the environment today!

hezekiah
Forums Dork
average posts: 1.6 per day
Re: Re: Re: INFINITE ANDROMEDA?!
March 8, 2011, 8:06AM

On March 7, 2011, 4:53PM, eon said:

VF is out of the question for obvious reasons. And I'm fairly sure that most of the folks on GG are already aware of our existence. Others?

Does VF still have beef with you?

-----

Bitches better fear me.

kimjong-1.jpg

eon
Site Founder
March 8, 2011, 5:10PM

We're cool, but I'm not thinking he'd let me run ads on his site.

It's kind of a thing where we mostly just leave each other alone.

-----

DS Bureaucracyâ?¢: Now providing organic, eco-friendly and sustainably produced Andromeda Timeâ?¢. Do the right thing for yourself and the environment today!

eon
Site Founder
March 9, 2011, 12:38AM

Basically, this would cause all of the people who buy Andromeda on the regular to stop buying it and stop sharing it. An initial burst of cash followed by a collapse of the economy.

-----

DS Bureaucracyâ?¢: Please discourage our inefficiency with frequent Andromeda Timeâ?¢ purchases.

Pinelli
Starling
average posts: 3.4 per day
March 9, 2011, 4:41AM

Not to mention as much as you don't want to say it, you and VF kinda are in competition.
Exact same demographic, both need flow of money.
While the typical people who will dump money into it have large discretionary spending (teens-tweens) there's not likely to be an infinite amount of that.
So naturally if their spending habits are split between DS and VF, one or the other will suffer for it.
Its just common sense.
So it would be odd for him to let you advertise on there.
Though I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'd say facebook is a good bet if you're thinking about advertising. A few people have raised that as a good idea time and again and it might be worth looking into just to give it a shot for a little while to see what kind of results it brings in, if you can afford it.

As for changing the pricing structure, I really wouldn't.
As you said, DS is an unlikely ongoing story.
Best not to write "The end" before its needed.

-----

Push up your hand if you're lovin' my style.

eon
Site Founder
Re: Re: INFINITE ANDROMEDA?!
March 9, 2011, 7:41AM

On March 9, 2011, 5:58AM, nick007 said:

I think the us members should be spreading the word instead of telling Eon he needs to advertise

Apparently, that ain't happening. Facebook would also give us the ability to target a certain demographic. Assuming we can figure out how to describe it.

-----

Pinelli
Starling
March 9, 2011, 10:35AM

The fact of the matter is, while yes, the majority of your users (and thus Andromeda membership) are likely of a certain demographic the regulars which use your site and will become the face of your site are much different.
This will make marketing hard as it becomes difficult to determine what the site is really all about.
Some people sold on the idea that it is strictly a gothic site might come here and find it off-putting that the most active members who thoroughly use your community are almost anything but.

-----

Bad taste in my mouth, you would think I'm a whore... You would think I'm youuuuu....

Sgath
Forums Moderator
average posts: 1.4 per day
March 9, 2011, 12:28PM

Yeah I think a general rebranding of the demographic of the site is in order. I really like the Anti-Social network thing. We can maintain the atmosphere here easily by encouraging new people but also maintaining the socially awkward, varied sub-culture brand. I guess DS's identity has always been the acceptance of a multitude of sub-cultures. When the site gets a new layout it would be nice to see something along those lines describing what we're all about.

On facebook, we could pick a dozen different sub-cultures to appeal to using music or movie tastes or 'likes' or whatever facebook has to differentiate people.

Pinelli
Starling
March 9, 2011, 1:19PM

I like how simple DS is.
It makes navigating it not feel like you've been dropped in the middle of clusterfuck central without a map.
Which is how VF feels. And that's a consensus, btw, even something that DSers who still use VF feel is true.

While you can make it look less plain, it doesn't need to become complicated and stupid.

And a rebrand is definitely needed if you want the site to grow.

On March 9, 2011, 5:41AM, eon said:
On March 9, 2011, 5:58AM, nick007 said:
I think the us members should be spreading the word instead of telling Eon he needs to advertise

Apparently, that ain't happening.

As for this, all the regs have pretty much exhausted word of mouth with who they're willing to use it with, so this is a dry well.
I'm not gonna tell my second cousin about how great DS is. Sorry.
Advertising is going to be needed because word of mouth is only going to go so far.

So the choice is between deciding to leave it where it is for now and hope it continues to have the moderate amount of success it has had (with the recent "surge" in activity being indicative of future success, I'm not too certain) or you can put forth a little bit more effort into something that's already seven years into the making (read: drop in the bucket) and possibly get back considerable gains.

-----

Change the way you look at things, the things you look at will change.

[This post was last updated on March 9, 2011, 11:23AM by ImAWhat.]

Pinelli
Starling
March 9, 2011, 4:17PM

Renaming it is not rebranding it.
It's not a general "Anti-social" thing right now.
It has a gimmicky "The Anti-social network" thing going for it, and that's about it.
It needs to be better defined and less centralized around "I'm gothic and an upset teen."

-----

If you could hold your tongue long enough you'd see that all I am is love.

eon
Site Founder
Re: Re: Re: INFINITE ANDROMEDA?!
March 9, 2011, 5:26PM

On March 9, 2011, 12:24PM, vaniteux said:

... but there is definitely things that could be done to change the way things are laid out, making it a bit more friendly to both the eye and the user.

When I re-do the layout (which, by the way, will be a major undertaking and therefore not a reasonable project for me during the semester), my plan is to completely separate the form and function of the site.

That is, the layout will depend entirely upon CSS. It follows, then, that someone who wanted to write their own layout for the site would have just as much control over the appearance as I would.

For a good example, check out: CSS Zen Garden.

(Check out the 'select a design' bar on the right hand side and prepare to be blown away by the user-submitted re-designs of that website.)

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best graphic designer in the world. That's really not my bag. What I'm much better at is the back end; all of the mechanics underneath that no one ever sees.

However, once this is accomplished, someone like you will have no reason to complain. If you don't like the way it looks, I'll tell you to re-design it yourself! 3.gif

In the meanwhile, I do have some ideas which may help to increase user participation site-wide and hopefully slow the deterioration of the user base. (A band-aid for now.)

We'll see how it goes, kids.

-----

[This post was last updated on March 9, 2011, 4:35PM by eon.]

eon
Site Founder
March 9, 2011, 7:22PM

On March 9, 2011, 6:06PM, vaniteux said:

Also, the design end, I could help?
Especially if you're going to steer clear of tables completely.

I know it's your site. Your baby, but the offer stands when you go to do it.
Even if it's just a tad bit here and there, I'm more than willing.

The new design should be nearly free of tables. You are aware of the fact that you can, right now, re-do the main site CSS? And that I accept user submissions to add to the available site themes? You could do one right now if you liked.

The same will hold true when I do the re-design, but that's a ways off. So something nicer in the interim would also be great.

-----

DS Bureaucracyâ?¢: When 'just okay' is good enough.

eon
Site Founder
March 9, 2011, 7:32PM

Sounds good. For everything you need, go to 'Look and Feel' and scroll down to the 'Site Theme' section. Let me know if you have any questions.

-----

eon
Site Founder
March 9, 2011, 7:37PM

Yay!

-----

DS Bureaucracyâ?¢: When 'just okay' is good enough.

Charlet
Starling
March 20, 2011, 2:16PM

My favorite part is how you can design the site basically yourself ( the layout I mean). I changed mine way back when it was first introduced to my own and I have kept it since then 1.gif.

I think this should be more widely known.

Also I agree with Steven, I'm far from being 'goth" or anyone even putting me in that category by stereotyping yet I've been here since almost the creation. Sure I may have fit into that stereotype before but my personality hasnt changed. I think going for the "open minded" approach would be a good bet. Sure keep the Anti-Social Network deal going, but make it less like VF which ( as from what I remember, havent been on in a LONG time) is the dark themed, vampire-ish type deal etc. Not to mention theres lots of "coders" on here, that would be a good target audience especially with the easy CSS you're able to do.

I havent taken any classes, and simply just read up online about CSS and HTML and have little trouble creating my own theme and profile.

Not to mention the forums should be promoted more, like before when us old chat users would try and recruit new members to come in, I actually came across and old banner I made for the chat I would post on profiles which reminded me of this.

Go to page: < 1 [2] 3 >
Subject:
Reply:

Add Signature?

Last 10 Members to View This Thread
NameTime
ZenviousJun 12, 2013, 5:37AM
AshleydawnMar 3, 2013, 7:23PM
StarryEyedBeautyFeb 8, 2013, 1:16PM
Saint.MariaJan 18, 2013, 7:52PM
HiddenHatredOct 26, 2012, 3:03AM
nomOct 17, 2012, 12:18AM